the pictures of human suffering are overwhelming. Thousands of disaster relief workers from around the world (along with over 12,000 US troops) are doing their very best to rescue those still buried, and offer assistance to those who survived. Everyone involved needs our prayers and financial support.
Southern Baptists' Disaster Relief forces are in the middle of the effort. While we don't grab the quick headlines, Southern Baptists are helping in ways that will make a long-term difference. The people of Haiti desperately need to experience the love and presence of Jesus Christ. Southern Baptists Disaster Relief volunteers want to comfort and assist with the basic necessities of life AND share Jesus with those involved. The need for Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord is the greatest need!
We have many Christian brothers and sisters in Haiti. Pray for them as they minister to those around them. Pray for daily strength and hope.
Southern Baptists have been on the fore-front of Disaster Relief efforts for some time. SBC Disaster Relief teams are organized, professional and work closely with national organizations. We train volunteers to help!
Just this past weekend, five teams from our Western Baptist Association churches and other GBC churches from across the state trained to become "chainsaw" certified Disaster Relief volunteers. Dressed in hard hats and protective clothing the teams learned how to use a chainsaw safely, correctly and effectively. The "Chainsaw School" was at our Rockridge Baptist Assembly in Franklin, Ga.
They may be needed to go to Haiti in the months to come.
Southern Baptists offer immediate and long-term assistance after a disaster. A high official with the Red Cross once told me, "We (Red Cross) could not do what we do, without the amazing help of Southern Baptists! You come in, set up where we need you most, work from start to finish, never gripe and do it all without almost no recognition. I hope you tell other Southern Baptists how grateful we are."
I am thankful that God saved me through faith in Jesus and allowed me to be a Southern Baptist.
Growing Together for His Glory!
To check on the latest news concerning SBC/GBC relief efforts in Haiti, go to:
UPCOMING in the WBA...
- Jan. 25 Ministers Meeting. 11:00 AM WBA building. Vicki Hale (Coweta County Pregnancy Services) will present program.
- Jan. 26 “How to have a winning Sunday School” area-wide conference at Royal BC. 6:30-8:30 pm.
- Feb. 8 Super Evangelism Conference at Northside BC. 7:00-8:30 pm (Same conference at each location)
- Feb. 9 Super Evangelism Conference at FBC Moreland 7:00-8:30 pm(Same conference at each location)
- Feb. 26 VBS “Early bird” Directors meeting. 7:00 pm TBA
- March 2 WMU Spring Inspiration. 6:30 pm First Baptist Church, Newnan
- March 20 WBA - VBS Team attends VBS Regional training clinic at FBC Cartersville, Ga.
- April 15 (Thursday Night!) Executive Committee meeting. WBA building. 7:00 pm
- April 20 Annual Spring Meeting. Living Proof Baptist Church (Collection of items for Children's Home begins at 6:00 pm; meeting begins at 7:00 PM)
- April 23 WBAssociational VBS clinic. Royal BC. 6:30-8:30 pm